Whether you are planning to relocate overseas or vacation in one or more countries, you know the importance of properly packaging and bundling any loose ends at home before leaving. Your passport is secure, the mail is forwarded or put on hold, and any interference in your child's school is handled to suit everyone. However, if you have a pet, you have two options: you can board the boat in the local kennel, or – if your puppy or cat comes in need – you can arrange special pet transport.
Although pets are allowed to fly domestically through various airlines, this is not the case for transatlantic, transpacific or Hawaiian flights. To ensure that your dog or cat arrives safely at your destination, you need to provide a pet transport service. When you research possible transportation tools to carry your beloved family and friends, you will no doubt have questions about your care and procedures. To help you make the right decisions for the money you will spend, these suggested questions can help you with the service.
1) Do they arrange transportation from home to the departure airport, from the airport to the final destination? Know if you are responsible for bringing your pet when you leave.
2) Are they calming pets for transportation? If you are concerned about an allergic reaction or other risks, be sure to know in advance.
3) Is there a travel kennel, or do you need to bring your own kennel?
4) If you are delayed, will the company board a pet after arriving at the destination city? If so, do you need extra fees?
5) Is the company insured? In an emergency, is there a pet health professional carrying a pet?
6) How are pets shipped? What are the conditions in the cargo area?
7) Are they limited to the height and weight of pets? If not, will the price rise based on the height and weight of the pet?
8) Do they need to be prepared to provide food for travel?
Once you get the answer, weigh your choices and quotes for shipping animals. A long vacation or relocation is an exciting time for the entire family, and it is important that your four-legged friends share their experience safely in the hands of pet transport services.